Blessings of Gratitude [Shukr] | Accorrding to Islam
Gratitude is not only the heart and essence of Islam; it is also the key to attracting abundance, prosperity, peace, and success in one’s life. We can say that Gratitude and Shukr are the most important aspects of Islam. We as a Muslims should always thankful to Almighty Allah for all the blessings that given by Him. He is the Creator of this world alone and also He is The Most Merciful for all His humankind. If we thankful to him then it means we are believers and if not then disbelievers. In Holy Quran, Allah Almighty says:
“And remember! Your Lord caused to be declared: If you are grateful, I will add more unto you” (Quran, 14:5-7).
From the verses of Holy Quran, we came to know that gratitude is essential to Islamic character and that practicing gratitude in Islam is the means to greater prosperity. We have to be grateful for everything that we have in which health, wealth, breath, family, friends and for all other things whether it’s too small or big and most importantly for being a Muslim and from the Ummah of Prophet (SAW).Allah loves those who are being grateful to Him for everything that they have.
Gratitude (Shukr) is the path to loving Allah. Shukr is the only argument one needs against disbelief. It is the cure for sadness and materialism as well and is the motivation to do better tomorrow. Thanks and gratitude to someone are basically repay the kindness and giving praise to the one who has done good and kind things to us. The kindest One is the Almighty Allah so we should always be thankful to Him for everything.
Allah Almighty commanded us to be grateful to Him for all His blessings and try to do Shukr all time for what He has provided us. In Holy Quran, Allah Almighty says:
“Therefore remember Me (by praying, glorifying). I will remember you, and be grateful to Me (for My countless favors on you) and never be ungrateful to Me”
Allah has granted us the nature to be grateful and we should, therefore, Gratitude (Shukr) to Allah Almighty. There are many benefits of Gratitude that we will get from Allah; below we will discuss some of them.
Benefits of Gratitude (Shukr)
Gratitude cultivates happiness and well being. Some of the benefits of Gratitude are listed below that we should know so that if anyone is there who is not thanking Allah should start Shukr.
- Better Relationship with Allah: Gratitude is one of the most beloved characteristics of Allah Almighty. Being thankful is the best way to get closer to Allah (SWT). By Shukr we invoke His mercy and love upon us. Gratitude is the key to Allah’s reward and pleasure. When we thankful to Him we try getting better our relationship with Allah Almighty. In Holy Quran, Allah stated in a way:
“…And whoever desires the reward of this world – We will give him thereof, and whoever desires the reward of the Hereafter – We will give him thereof. And We will reward the grateful” (Quran, 3:145).
- Prosperity in Life: Gratitude (Shukr), or thankfulness, is a quality that will lead to success both in this life and in the next that will never be going to an end. Allah (SWT) promises us mercy and an increase in His favors upon us if we are grateful. In Holy Quran Allah says:
“And [remember] when your Lord proclaimed, ‘If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]…” (Quran, 14:7).
From this verse, we can conclude that if we grateful to Allah Almighty for His blessing then He will give us abundantly in return.
- Prevents Punishment from Allah: In Holy Quran Allah says:
“If Allah took mankind to task by that which they deserve, He would not leave a living creature on the surface of the earth; but He grants them reprieve unto an appointed term, and when their term comes – then verily Allah is Ever All-Seer of His slaves”(Quran, 35:45).
Allah will grant us blessings when we Gratitude Him and also He is justified to punish us for our negligence. So from gratitude, we can get His blessings and if we don’t do it then He will punish us. Gratitude prevents punishment from Allah Almighty.
- Seeking Pleasure of Allah: We (Muslims) spend all our lives to get the pleasure of Allah and gratitude is one way to do so not only in this life but also in the hereafter when we will express it to Him for His blessings. Shukr is the best mean to attain the pleasure of Allah.
- Reduce Materialism and Boosts Sympathy: Ultimate happiness does not rely upon worldly possessions. Gratitude has actually been shown to reduce feelings of materialism and its consequential negative effects. Greater expressions of gratitude were associated with lower materialism and a higher life satisfaction. If you want a satisfied life then always thankful to Allah Almighty.
- Shukr leads to abundance in Allah’s favors: If you appreciate Allah’s favors, He has promised increased Rahmah or Mercy for you. Allah’s reward for your gratitude is unlimited and unconditional.
“If you are grateful, I will surely give you more and more.”
(Ibraaheem, : 007)
- Being grateful and patient in times of difficulty: Everything that happens to us – even events that we may consider to be personal afflictions or natural disasters-are from Allaah. Therefore, in times of calamity and distress, there will be some good for us, provided we respond appropriately.
The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said:
“How wonderful is the case of a Believer! There is good for him in whatever happens to him -and none, apart from him, enjoys this blessing. If he receives some bounty, he is grateful to Allah and this bounty brings good to him. And if some adversity befalls him, he is patient, and this affliction, too, brings good to him.” (Saheeh Muslim)
- We thank Allaah for our own benefit:
If you are ungrateful, Allah is unaffected. If you become grateful, then you have taken the first step towards becoming a true Believer. It is for this reason that the Prophet exhorted us to “Love Allah as we benefit from His grace”
- Shaytan’s primary mission is to make human beings ungrateful:From the very beginning of the human being’s creation, the issue of gratefulness and thankfulness to Allaah has been debated. After refusing to bow to Adam, Satan said:
“Then I will certainly come to them from before them and from behind them, and from the right-hand side and from the left-hand side, and You (Allah) shall not find most of them thankful”
Three ways to express Shukr:
- Shukr of the heart (Qalb), which is achieved by harboring and intending good for all of Allah’s creation.
- Shukr of the tongue (Lisaan), which involves celebrating the praises of Allah, such as utterance of “Alhamdulillah”, and expressing gratefulness to Allah with our tongue.
- Shukr of the limbs (Jawaarih), which is fulfilled by using our external senses to do good. Every time Allah gives us a blessing, we must use it in a way that benefits humanity and that pleases Allah.